Thursday, June 3, 2010

Made it!




Well, sometimes life not only gives you lemons, it takes the lemon peeler off you and says 'Solve this!' I have just spent a frustrating half an hour or so trying to work out how to get an English screen instead of an Arabic one...not that I mind Arabic, but it is a little hard for me to read. I hope to maybe learn a word or two...today I learnt the word for a type of yoghurt and a dukka-like spice mix that I had for breakfast...very delicious even if the green colour was a little awe-inspiring for breakfast! Sadly, now I can't remember the words!

I have been here now for nearly three days, and in some ways while I feel like we just got here in others, it feels like we've been here for weeks. The days have been really full, and although I've been going to bed fairly early, I am up awake after 3.30 am Islamic call to prayer. The Dome of the Rock is right in front of me, and the muezzin's voice is amplified nicely by some very powerful speakers. I actually don't mind...the call itself is quite calming and beautiful, and I am enjoying waking early, in what is the coolest and most peaceful time of the day.

Jerusalem, the old city where we are, is like a whole lot of little laneways, except that some of them open out into important spaces, and others end up in tunnel type places. The streets are all paved with very very old stones, and they are so worn that they are quite slippery...even in sandshoes or good sandals, I went for a bit of a skate down the front steps of Ecce Homo the other day, but someone grabbed my arm before I hit the deck, thankfully.

Yesterday was my first day of really 'touring' the city. Accompanied by a guide, who is a New Testament scholar, we walked from the Mount of Olives outside the old city walls of Jerusalem, along the Kidron valley and into the city through the Zion Gate. The walk was basically following the path of Jesus from the garden of Gethsemane (which we didn't vist yesterday) through to his appearance at the house of Caiphas. There are two houses of Caiphas apparently...so the site is contested, both of them are up near the old city walls; the area which is now known as Mt Zion.

The day yesterday was really hot, and we walked for quite a while. Once we reached the city walls, we entered via the Zion gate and walked through the Jewish quarter and then the Christian quarter through to the Muslim quarter. There are no deliniations, but the signage changes a little, and the predominant clothing changes as you move from one neighborhood to the next. Everyone is most keen to sell something....and there are plenty of eyecatching displays, but I haven't 'gone shopping' yet. I think I 'll wait until I feel a little more like I know the place.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your account of the call to prayer.
    3.30 am is a recurring theme in the interior life. I seem to recall Romero did most of his writing at that time of day.
    I know I would beat it by exactly 10 minutes most nights.
    Take care not to fall over! That's once... (-:

    Phil

    ReplyDelete